Re: Ewellic

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 02:23:44 EST

    Jim Allan <jallan at smrtytrek dot com> wrote:

    > Ewellic, to be sure, does not match one to one with the standard Latin
    > alphabet. But I would presume that when Doug Ewell created it he was
    > familiar with either IPA or some other phonemic/phonetic notation such
    > as that in Webster dictionaries.

    When I was 17 I had virtually no exposure to IPA. I had seen the cheesy
    and problematic dictionary pronunciation conventions that go to almost
    any length to avoid non-ASCII letters like "ŋ" and "θ". So yes, I could
    derive a pronunciation from a dictionary. But I wasn't trying to
    duplicate any such scheme with different letterforms. For one thing,
    most of them seemed to think "i" as in "ice" is a single vowel, and "ch"
    as in "church" is a single consonant, and I happened to disagree.

    > I would suppose he created Ewellic as a cipher of such characters.

    Not at all my intent.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/