Re: What does i18n mean?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 17:10:18 EST

    Theodore H. Smith scripsit:
    > what does i18n mean? I see it bandied about a lot.
    >
    > My guess is "internationalisation", but actually when you pronounce
    > "eye won ayht en" it doesn't sound anything like that word.

    Count the letters in "internationalisation" between the initial i and the
    final n. Similar terms are l10n (localisation) and c14n (canonicalisation).
    These abbreviations are not used in speech, of course; they have the
    advantage that they are ambiguous between "-isation" and "-ization".

    --
    John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan@reutershealth.com
    We want more school houses and less jails; more books and less arsenals;