RE: How can I input any Unicode character if I know its hexadecimal code?

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@Exchange.Microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 20:03:25 EST

    Patrick asks: «Q. How can I input any Unicode character if I know its hexadecimal code?»

    You could use an app that supports the Alt+x input method (like Word or WordPad) and then copy the result into an app that doesn't.

    For reference, the Alt+x input method works as follows:

    A handy hex-to-Unicode entry method works with WordPad 2000/XP, Office 2000/XP edit boxes, RichEdit controls in general, and in Microsoft Word 2002. Basically you type a character's hexadecimal code (in ASCII), making corrections as need be, and then type Alt+x. Presto! The hexadecimal code is replaced by the corresponding Unicode character. The Alt+x is a toggle, that is, type it once to convert the hex code to a character and type it again to convert the character back to a hex code. If the hex code is preceded by one or more hexadecimal digits, you need to "select" the code so that the preceding hexadecimal characters aren't included in the code. The code can range up to the value 0x10FFFF, which is the highest character in the 17 planes of Unicode.

    The only problem with this approach is that some programs use Alt+x for something else (like quit) or the keyboard doesn't have direct access to ASCII alphabetics.

    It's not patented, so anyone can use it :-)

    Thanks
    Murray