Re: How can I input any Unicode character if I know its hexadecimal code?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 05:23:25 EST

    From: "Patrick Andries" <Patrick.Andries@xcential.com>
    > De: Murray Sargent
    > >Patrick asks:
    > > > «Q. How can I input any Unicode character if I know its
    > > > hexadecimal code?»
    > >
    > >You could use an app that supports the Alt+x input method (like Word or
    > >WordPad) and then copy the result into an app that doesn't.
    >
    > [PA] No, this is not an available option; I want to be able to input those
    > characters in XMetal.

    Then it is a request for enhancement to address to the author of XMetal.
    This is not an issue of Unicode.
    The MS Keyboard Layout Creator will not be usable here to create such an
    input method. You need a custom code in the keyboard driver DLL, unless
    Microsoft enhances its MSKB tool to include support for Alt+X+Hex or
    Alt+Plus+Hex (on European keyboards with a AltGr Key, AltGr should be used
    rather than Alt).
    For now AltGr+0 allows you to input only character by their decimal numeric
    position in the current ANSI codepage. This has very little in common with
    Unicode (the sequence varies according to the locale of the input method or
    keyboard driver, to match the decimal code poisitions of the associated ANSI
    codepage, which is not always Windows-1252 based on ISO-8859-1 without C1
    controls)