Re: Problems encoding the spanish o

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 23:40:45 EST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > If IE really wants to keep some compatibility, it may only accept the
    > CESU-8 encoding only as a possible choice for its "automatic
    > selection" of charsets, or display a visible replacement character
    > (such as a narrow white box) for invalid characters (that could
    > internally be handled as if these invalid sequences were representing
    > U+FFFF).

    1. CESU-8 should *never* be auto-detected. CESU-8 is intended for
    internal use only. Even the TR says this.

    2. CESU-8 has nothing to do with overlong sequences. They're just as
    invalid there as in UTF-8. So I really don't know how CESU-8 got
    dragged into this thread in the first place.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/