Re: creating a test font w/ CJKV Extension B characters.

From: Gary P. Grosso (ggrosso@arbortext.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 12:55:42 EST

    Since we're comparing notes on font tools, I recently was
    asked to look over an experimental font which had, among
    other things, characters in the Supplemental Multilingual
    Plane and used CFF format. (I had to look up what CFF
    format even was.)

    PFAEdit was able to load the font. At least I could see the
    SMP characters; I didn't attempt any editing, kerning, etc.
    I've always been fairly impressed with PFAEdit, which probably
    deserves a name which reflects the fact that it goes well
    beyond PFA files or even Type 1 fonts. In fact, I'd like
    to see it ported to Windows.

    Font Creator Program couldn't load the font due to the CFF
    format, which was disappointing, because I like FCP's
    interface and other features, and was hoping to get an up
    close and personal look at some of the glyphs, which seemed
    to have some sort of height anomaly.

    On Win2K, "Character Map" (charmap.exe) does not show anything
    beyond the BMP. I haven't tried this on XP.

    Gary

    At 09:00 AM 11/20/2003 -0500, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
    >I haven't tested this myself, but from a look at the source code, it appears that pfaedit (pfaedit.sourceforge.net) can generate format12 TTFs. (Open Source, for UNIX).
    >
    >~mark
    >
    >On 11/20/03 03:12, Arcane Jill wrote:
    >

    >>Is anyone able to answer this? I for one would really like to know.
    >>Thanks

    ---
    Gary Grosso
    Arbortext, Inc.