Re: creating a test font w/ CJKV Extension B characters.

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang (ytang0648@aol.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 14:45:35 EST

    so.. in summary, how is your concusion about the quality of "GB18030"
    support on IE6/Win2K ? If you run the same test on Mozilla / Netscape
    7.0, what is your conclusion about that quality of support?

    Andrew C. West wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:32:16 +0000, jameskass@att.net wrote:
    > >
    > > Frank Yung-Fong Tang wrote,
    > > > If you visit
    > > >
    > http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/gb18030/gb18030.cgi?page=596
    > > > and your machine have surrogate support install correctly and
    > surrogate
    > > > font install correctly then you should see surrogate characters
    > show up
    > > > match the gif.
    > >
    > > It isn't working, but I have surrogate support and a font correctly
    > > installed.
    > >

    > Using W2K and IE6, if you have a CJK-B font configured for "User Defined"
    > scripts under the "Options : Fonts" settings, and manually select the
    > encoding
    > for the page as "User Defined", then the second CJK-B character in
    > each box
    > (just above the gif image) displays just fine.
    >
    > The top character in each box appears to be encoded as GB-18030 (e.g.
    > GB-18030
    > 0x95328236 = U+20000), and the second character is encoded as hex NCR
    > values
    > (e.g. 𠀀 for U+20000).
    >
    > If GB-18030 is selected as the encoding for the page (as explicitly
    > given in the
    > file), then IE won't display the CJK-B characters correctly (even if you
    > configure a CJK-B font as your default font for displaying Chinese),
    > but you can
    > copy and paste them to a Unicode editor, where both the GB-18030 and
    > NCR encoded
    > forms of CJK-B characters will display correctly with an appropriate
    > CJK-B font.
    >
    > If User Defined is selected as the encoding for the page (either
    > manually or by
    > changing the meta tag in the file to charset="x-user-defined"), then the
    > GB-18030 encoded characters turn to gunk, but the NCR representations are
    > displayed using whatever font you have configured for user defined
    > scripts, and
    > if that is a CJK-B font then hey presto !
    >
    > Andrew

    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    Šýštém Årçhîtéçt, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
    AIM:yungfongta   mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
    Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan
    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,
    that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    Does your software display Thai language text correctly for Thailand users?
    -> Basic Conceptof Thai Language linked from Frank Tang's
    Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn Secrets
    Want to translate your English text to something Thailand users can
    understand ?
    -> Try English-to-Thai machine translation at
    http://c3po.links.nectec.or.th/parsit/