RE: Request - convert ISCII to Unicode

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 19:52:36 EST

    De: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]De la
    > part de Markus Scherer
    > Envoye : samedi 22 novembre 2003 00:47
    > A : unicode
    > Objet : Re: Request - convert ISCII to Unicode
    >

    > Frank Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
    > > Does the ICU ISCII convertesr take ATTRIBUTE code in ISCII (as defined
    > > in ANNEX-E of ISCII 13194:1991, page 20 to swtich between script?)
    > > ATR = 0xEF in ISCII
    > > 0xEF 0x42 to switch to Devanagari script
    > > 0xEF 0x43 to switch to Bengali script
    > > etc...
    >
    > The ICU ISCII converter does handle the script-switching
    > attributes. The default script (before
    > encountering a script attribute) depends on the charset name you
    > use (for example, iscii-dev vs.
    > iscii-guj vs. iscii-tlg or x-iscii-te etc.) or can be set with an
    > ICU-specific option suffix on the
    > ISCII charset name itself.
    >
    > Search for "ISCII" in

    http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/icu/source/data/mappings/conv
    rtrs.txt

    Just one subsidiary question about this ICU file: will there be support in
    ICU of charset name aliases used in Oracle? How can we be sure of the
    corresponding charset name aliases between Oracle, MIME, Java...

    I know that Oracle 8i and after implements a JDK-compilant Java VM, so this
    alias mapping should be easy to perform with Java aliases, no?

    I have the same questions for Sybase (is it the same as MS SQL, i.e. based
    on Windows codepages?)

    Could the ICU charsets converters support other well-known collections of
    charset names and aliases beside these ones: UTR22, ICU, IBM, JAVA, WINDOWS,
    GLIBC, AIX, DB2, SOLARIS, APPLE, HPUX, MIME, IANA, MSIE, ZOS_USS (MVS), ...?
    For example VMS collections, and other RDBMS engines like MSSQL, SYBASE,
    ORACLE, MYSQL (?)

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com