Re: Korean compression (was: Re: Ternary search trees for Unicode dictionaries)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 06:41:04 EST

    On 24/11/2003 17:56, Christopher John Fynn wrote:

    >"Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org> wrote:
    >

    >>This approach would certainly have simplified pointed Hebrew a lot, so
    >>much so that it could well be serious. After all, Ethiopic was encoded
    >>as a syllabary just because the vowel points happen to have become
    >>attached to the base characters. And we already have some precomposed
    >>Hebrew syllables, FB1D, FB1F, FB2E, FB2F. But I guess it is too late for
    >>a change now!
    >>

    >Please don't even think of it - acceptance of any proposal for precomposed
    >characters for one script would open the floodgates for similar proposals for
    >other scripts.
    >
    > --
    >Christopher J. Fynn

    But the floodgates have already been opened - not just Ethiopic but
    Greek extended, much of Latin extended, the Korean syllables which
    started this discussion, the small amount of precomposed Hebrew which we
    already have, etc. People have tried to force them shut, and with good
    reason. But don't accuse me of starting something new.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)