Roman numerals (Re: numeric properties of Nl characters in the UCD)

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 19:55:38 EST

    "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> écrivait en ce 25/XI/2003

    > All the Roman numerals I can find in the standard, except U+2183 ROMAN
    > NUMERAL REVERSED ONE HUNDRED, have a value in the "numeric value" field.
    > (Perhaps the actual numeric value of U+2183 is not known.)

    I think it is rather because it is never used alone and does not really represent one hundred, but a multiplier of variable value.

    C' represents below a reversed C.

    |C' = D = U+ 217E = five hundred
    C | C' = CD = ↀ = U+2180 = M = one thousand (cf. mille in French)
    |C'C' = DC' = ↁ = U+2181 = five thousand
    CCIC'C' = ↂ = U+ 2182 = ten thousand
    CCC|C'C'C' = hundred thousand -— not coded in Unicode, why ?

    A million is represented by a Saint-Andrew's cross surrounded by a canopy |¯|, it is not coded I believe. I don't know why. I have representations of it.

    Patrick
    Noms ISO 10646 et annotations Unicode 4.0
    en français en bêta
    http://pages.infinit.net/hapax/ListeDesNoms-4.0.0.txt
    Réviseurs bienvenus !