Re: Definitions

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 07:21:37 EST

    On 26/11/2003 02:29, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >jameskass@att.net wrote:
    >

    >>Briefly, it's my opinion that applications which claim to support
    >>and comply with Unicode should not 'step on' Unicode text. Any
    >>loopholes in the 'letter of the law' which allow applications to
    >>mung or reject Unicode text should be plugged.
    >>

    >If this "pluging" request must be done, it should be also the case for HTML
    >and XML.
    >For now, combining characters can be encoded directly just after a quote
    >character (single or double) used to mark the beginning of an attribute
    >value, or just after a tag-closing ">". HTML and XML parsers will parse
    >these quotes or superior signs by ignoring the combining sequence, creating
    >defective sequences, but this is a problem.

    Why is this a problem? Quotes and ">" with combining marks are
    presumably not legal HTML or XML; and so the interpretation of a quotes
    or ">" followed by combining marks as a quote or ">" and a defective
    combining sequence is unambiguous, surely? There could of course be
    problems if there were any precomposed combinations of quotes or ">"
    with combining characters, but I don't think there are any, are there?

    Your proposed solution to the problem is messy in requiring the use of
    numeric entities, and unnecessary.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)