RE: Oriya: nndda / nnta?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 18:37:18 EST

    At 23:12 -0800 2003-11-27, Peter Constable wrote:

    >Well, most of the C+ta conjuncts I've seen so far use this form
    >(exceptions are r-ta, which uses the reph above, and t-ta, which uses a
    >distinct ligature). In contrast, of the few undisputable C+dda conjuncts
    >I've seen, apart from the r-dda with reph, the others use a scaled,
    >subjoined dda. If this is really to be considered a nn-dda conjunct,
    >it's the only C-dda conjunct that uses this shape.

    There are not very many conjuncts with -dda.

    dd-dda
    nn-dda which has the same shape as the -ta in Oriya
    r-dda which takes repha

    I would be interested to see what evidence Peter has for any conjuncts in -dda.

    >Well, that's precisely the question: should it be handled like a TA
    >that's pronounced like DDA, or should it be considered an
    >exceptional DDA?

    The latter, I think. "Pronounced" as you mean it here refers to the
    reading rules, not the structure of the script. It can't be a NNTA
    since that would assimilate to NNTTA.