Need to update "Technical Work" page

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 17:22:54 EST

    I noticed the following on the "Technical Work" page on the Unicode Web
    site, at http://www.unicode.org/techwork.html:

    "The Unicode Standard was the basis for the Universal Character Set,
    two-octet form (UCS-2) of ISO/IEC 10646. The Unicode Standard’s 65,536
    code values are the first 65,536 code values of ISO 10646."

    I wonder if this passage is very old, predating the full acceptance of
    the surrogate mechanism in the Unicode Standard. I suggest this text be
    revised to avoid perpetuating the common misconception that Unicode is a
    16-bit-only standard, or that Unicode and ISO 10646 have different
    repertoires.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/