RE: Oriya: mba / mwa ?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 06:24:42 EST

    At 22:12 -0800 2003-11-30, Peter Constable wrote:
    >From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org on behalf of Michael Everson
    >
    >>>What I haven't seen is clear evidence that the wa-phallaa is
    >>>considered to be related to nominal BA and not a distinct character
    >>>falling after LA.
    >>
    >>WA has been added as a new independent letter, without a
    >>decomposition to O+BA, although its graphic appearance and simple
    >>phonetics shows us that it is an innovation based on that
    >>combination.
    >
    >No, the graphic appearance and phonetics reassure is this is a
    >plausible hypothesis; they don't show us this must be how it is.

    Your suggestion that NYA could be involved is less plausible.

    > > If DBA = [dwa] surely OBA = [owa] > [wa]
    >
    >But there's that underlying assumption which is what I have been
    >questioning: is the written representation of /dwa/ really D.BA, or
    >should it be considered D.WA?

    It is traditionally, yes.

    >I still haven't seen clear evidence; only an assertion of the former
    >based on a hypothesis that, granted, is certainly plausible.

    I cited examples already:

    k. + ba (wa) = kwa
    j. + ba (va) = jva
    dh. + ba (wa) = dhwa
    m. + ba = mba
    r. + ba = rba
    sh. + ba = shba

    >But the more important question is how users and implementers,
    >particularly those in India, will expect these conjuncts to be
    >encoded, and that question remains. If I implement one thing and
    >others another, we've got a problem.

    I think we should avoid revisionist encodings, which will make it
    impossible to deal with older data.

    >I was hoping there might be some Indian -- Oriyan -- implementers or
    >users lurking that might want to comment. If not, then there's not
    >much more to say on this topic here. I'll try elsewhere;

    I did order dictionaries so that I can help you.

    >in the meantime, I've got another similar question coming (encode
    >based on sound or based on shapes?) involving some other conjuncts.
    >I just need to get something scanned first.

    :-)