RE: Oriya: mba / mwa ?

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 17:10:26 EST

    .
    Michael Everson wrote,

    > You should implement according to what is on page 238 of the Unicode
    > Standard, and if there are people in India who think otherwise they
    > had better argue their case convincingly to the UTC.
    >
    > >I don't personally care which character is used.
    >
    > I *do*. Someone at the TDIL has decided he's got a bright idea about
    > how to use WA, and that changes the traditional orthography.

    The TDIL document was published in April of 2002. At that time,
    page 238 of TUS 4.0 did not exist. The authors of the Oriya section
    of the report really only had the sparse information on page 227 of
    TUS 3.0 upon which to expand.

    Perhaps many of us on this list have, in the past, attempted to
    exptrapolate the direction the consortium might take -- only to
    be surprised when a different path is chosen.

    Other than the fine work by Maurice Bauhahn on Khmer, the existence
    of these comprehensive TDIL reports written by technically-oriented
    expert members of the script user communities who also are familiar
    with computer encoding issues *and Unicode* appears to be unprecedented.

    We should rejoice that these TDIL reports exist and urge the
    various authors to contribute to discussions on any edge-case
    issues.

    Rather than revising history or revising encoding practices, maybe
    the TDIL reports could be revised where appropriate.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .