RE: Fonts on Web Pages

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 11:26:51 EST

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    Behalf Of Arcane Jill

    >Anyone know the current status on embedded fonts in web pages? ...

    If you go to
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=fonttoo
    llinks you'll find some links to sites for tools for font use on the
    web.

    >So, short of using small image files, what's the current
    state-of-the-art technical >solution to this.

    I'm aware of three technologies that are available. Two (WEFT and
    Truedoc) involve preparing fonts for HTML embedding and then using
    appropriate instructions within CSS. Note, though, that neither works on
    all browsers, and no browser (that I know of) works with both. The third
    (GlyphGate) requires (as I understand it) the use of a proprietary
    server. On the other hand, I believe it works with multiple browsers,
    though I think it may require plug-ins.

    >Question (2) is the same as question (1), except that I don't own the
    copyright.

    The only issue, then, is whether the font license permits you to make
    modifications to the font as may be needed for use by one of the
    aforementioned technologies.

    >I don't think I'm even allowed to say "Please download and install this
    font in order to >view this web page correctly".

    That you most likely cannot do.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division