Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:42:48 EST

    On 03/12/2003 06:18, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>Surely it
    >>would help with internationalisation for Thailand if the system is
    >>designed with support for Thai and other scripts in mind, even if not
    >>fully implemented and quality assured in the first release.
    >>

    >Surely it would. But given the high costs of supporting Thai properly
    >(it requires keeping a Thai dictionary around just to do line breaking),
    >it's not an unreasonable business decision to say that the Thai-language
    >market is simply not worth supporting for some applications.
    >
    >And before you say "put it in the OS", not all computing platforms are
    >bloat-tolerant desktops.

    Well, I was talking about the OS not applications. But then I was
    thinking in terms of desktops which already tolerate lots of bloat. If
    you are talking about mobile phones etc, you have to weigh up the cost
    factors against the loss of the rather large Thai market. If you want to
    penetrate the Thai market with your second generation, you still design
    the first generation with Thai support but in a way that you can omit
    the Thai dictionary as well as the font from the first release for
    Europe and America only.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)