RE: Free Fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:35:19 EST

    Raymond Mercier writes:
    > Philippe Verdy writes
    > > Simple: for now the fonts are in beta, and do not include the hinting
    > > instructions. This may be in development, but faces some legal issues
    > > with Apple patents. So until there's a patent-free hinting mechanism,
    > > for use in fonts, or Apple agrees with a royaltee-free license on
    > > hinting mechanisms, hinted fonts cannot be freely distributed.
    > >
    > What is the legal position if these fonts are taken into Fontlab and
    > rehinted ?
    >
    > Surely if I make my own hinted font in Fontlab I do not owe royalties to
    > Apple.

    Yes but your paid license to Fontlab may include some royaltees paid by
    Fontlab authors to Apple to use their hinting technology. So you get the
    right to use it to author fonts that you can distribute...

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com