RE: Free Fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:42:53 EST

    From: John Hudson
    > If you have an LCD screen, ClearType can significantly improve
    > the display
    > of even poorly hinted fonts, but hinting in the y-direction remains very
    > important even then.

    ClearType works on LCD because the 3 R,G,B pixels are equal vertical bars
    making a complete color pixel (so a single white pixel can effectively be
    have three horizontal aligned positions: R+G+B, G+B+R and B+R+G). This
    nearly triples the horizontal resolution for hinting, but it's a shame that
    no solution has been developped for CRT displays, where pixels are typically
    rendered in a hexagonal matrix, that the hinting process could consider.

    Other geometric shapes are used in color CRT, notably with Trinitron CRT
    displays, and hinting could exploit these properties. The main issue with
    CRT is that it's difficult to predict the alignment of the rendered
    hexagonal matrix on the difracting surface, as pixels (accelerated electron
    beams coming with a slightly different angle) tend to be difracted in
    another triangular shape through the dotted metalic screen that's just
    before pigmented surface.

    But I think that some maths on the effect of this unpredictable (because of
    size adjustment by monitor controls) diffraction through the metallic grid
    could reveal interesting geometric properties, that could be used in the
    hinting process, if the rendering area is represented by a non orthogonal
    coordinates system (with 2D plane axis at 60?).

    Is there some search in this area to enhance the resolution of graphics or
    typeseted text in non rectangular systems like CRT displays? And if so, what
    are the possible artefact effects caused by distinct chromatic properties of
    screens, and distinct white temperature?

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com