Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 23:33:09 EST

    John Hudson scripsit:

    > Both kinds of information may be necessary, depending on the writing
    > system (particular application of a particular script to a particular
    > language). Encoding a particular glyph as U+00431 in a font cmap table is
    > script-specific information; a glyph substitution lookup that replaces
    > that glyph with a different one when the language is Serbian is
    > language-specific information.

    And in particular, whether a given Indic ligature is required, permitted,
    or forbidden within a particular script depends on the language being
    written. This is also true in a small way even in Latin: the fi-ligature
    is forbidden in Turkish for practical reasons, and (I have heard) in
    Portuguese for reasons of tradition.

    > Note, however, that not everything one may want to happen in a font is
    > neatly divisible into script and language. There may be distinct
    > typographic traditions in the setting of the same language. Catering for
    > these in architectures that are nominally limited to script and language
    > distinctions is very tricky.

    Indeed. German is the obvious example.

    --
    John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of