Re: Sort Order

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 11:37:12 EST

    Gupta, Rohit4 <rohit4 dot gupta at citigroup dot com> wrote:

    > We are using UNICODE for representing Japanese characters.
    >
    > Will the Japanese characters be sorted according to:
    > a) There order in the Japanese character set OR
    > b) Order of their listing in the UNICODE representation. OR
    > c) The result of the two approaches above be the same.

    As a general rule, never rely on the order of code points in Unicode (or
    any other character encoding standard) to provide a correct sorting
    order. If it does, you may consider it an unexpected bonus.

    Find the sort order that is culturally most appropriate, and build a
    table to map this order to the Unicode code points. The Unicode
    Collation Algorithm may help you here.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/