Supporting the Unicode Project (was: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?) -- Maybe OT

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 12:43:18 EST

    On Thursday 2003.12.04 00:37:24 +0000, Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 14:25 -0500 2003-12-03, Edward H. Trager wrote:
    >
    > >WHY NOT just *give* away the Linear B, Ogham, Cherokee, and lots and
    > >lots of other fonts that are of interest to specialized user
    > >communities?
    >
    > Because I'm not independently wealthy? Because I already give as much as I
    > can?
    >
    > >My hunch is that Everson Typography will never make any money from a
    > >Linear B or Cherokee font anyway. The markets are just too small.
    > >Giving away those fonts would benefit those communities while
    > >simultaneously bolstering the reputation of the font vendor as a
    > >charitable corporate citizen.
    >
    > I already have the reputation as a charitable citizen, haven't I?

    Oh, yes, of course! I did not intend to suggest otherwise. I was merely
    suggesting that professional type designers (you and all the others who
    are reading the unicode list) donate whatever in your professional
    work over the years might have a continuing beneficial impact on human
    language communities, and specifically a humanitarian impact greater than any
    monetary rewards that might otherwise be garnered from such works.

    Organizations like SIL and projects like the Script Encoding Initiative
    (which you have highlighted below) already provide possible forums for these
    kinds of donations. Thank you for pointing out that such organizations are
    also happy to receive charitable monetary donations.

    > Perhaps it isn't charitable enough....
    >
    > >In fact, I'm sure marketing types could convince us that giving away
    > >some stuff for free is good for business and later generates sales
    > >of other stuff to all of those happy customers.
    >
    > YOU try to sell alphabets sometime.

    Actually, I am a bioinformatics programmer, and to date I have given away
    my programs away for free. The main reason I give them away for
    free is fairly simple: the market of genetics researchers
    potentially interested in buying them is too small,
    so I would not make that much money trying to sell them. Alternatively, the
    per-seat licensing fee would have to be quite hefty --too hefty-- for me to make any money
    on it. My livelihood does not depend on selling these programs (I originally
    wrote the programs to get my own work done more efficiently), and the internet
    makes it easy to give the software away for free, so that's what I do.
    Of course in the future things could change, as the market is expanding because
    of advances in genetics, etc., and I actually did some research in collaboration
    with a real business man to evaluate what changes would be required in one of my
    programs to make it appeal to a much wider audience, and therefore marketable
    at some future point in time. So, in the email I was really only suggesting
    something --donation of digital intellectual property-- that I myself already do.

    So, I can honestly say that I have put my digital intellectual property, if
    not my money, where my mouth is. And I certainly will consider SEI as a candidate
    for monetary donations in the future.