RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 13:35:35 EST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Michael Everson

    > >If not stored as Unicode on a Mac, then how are
    > >they stored ?
    >
    > Apparently Mac Roman. I don't know. Ask Microsoft.

    It isn't hard to do your own experimentation:

    - create a file with characters that must come from different Mac
    codepages
    - in the File|Save As dialog, look at the different file options
    - save in native format; copy to a PC and see if the file opens directly
    or requires conversion (in WinWord's Option dlg, make sure on the
    General tab that the "Confirm conversion at Open" check box is selected)
    - save in RTF; open the RTF file in a plain-text editor and look to see
    how characters are represented and whether Unicode-related keywords are
    used
    - see if there are plain text UTF-8 or UTF-16 formats

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division