Re: Free Fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG (wl@gnu.org)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 04:27:25 EST

    > The alternative is for FreeType to develop its own renderer. But
    > that is just the take I have on it.

    We've done that already. Have a look at the `autohint' module in the
    FreeType source which, as the name suggests, automatically hints a
    glyph without relying on either TrueType instructions nor PS hints.
    It works suprisingly well for western scripts (and supporting other
    scripts is under development), even at small resolutions; it is up to
    the user whether he or she wants to use the autohinter or the hinting
    engine specific to the font format.

        Werner