Re: Supporting the Unicode Project

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 11:21:35 EST

    At 10:32 -0500 2003-12-05, Edward H Trager wrote:

    >Michael, you bring up a very interesting question in my mind, and that is
    >why doesn't the Unicode Consortium simply hire you full-time?

    The Unicode Consortium has its own staff and expenses to pay, and is
    also not "independently wealthy". Its income comes from its
    membership fees.

    >Surely the Consortium sets aside funds for support positions and
    >could create the position (of "chief proposer" or whatever the title
    >should be)?

    Believe it or not, important as script proposals are to the future of
    our standard, they are a small part of what Unicode is all about.

    >Surely the large corporate sponsors of the Consortium can easily
    >find the funding to provide a decent salary and benefits for such a
    >position?

    Perhaps such members could contribute to the SEI, but as a matter of
    practicality it should be noted that there is a close relationship
    between the UTC and the U.S. SC2 tag, and I need to be able to free
    to exercise opposing views on behalf of the Irish SC2 tag, so being
    an employee of the Consortium itself could lead to conflict of
    interests.