RE: Missing African Latin letters (bis)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 20:24:17 EST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf
    > Of Michael Everson

    > I was looking at a book on Cherokee phonetics today and 0294 was used
    > in lower-case text word-internally. Now that's not necessarily a
    > problem; PALOCHKA is also upper-case and is used word-internally. But
    > I thought I'd mention it.

    Are you saying they used a cap-height glyph word-initially and an x-height glyph elsewhere?

    I've got a book on phonetics with some Comanche and Shoshone data that has A, E, I, Ï and U word-medially; they would have used these word-initially if that's where the voiceless vowel came. Neither this nor a cap-height 0294 in phonetic data (in any word position) is a problem. If the general category of 0294 were changed from Ll to Lu, that Cherokee data would not be harmed in any way that I can see.

    (Particularly if it's printed in a book. BTW, how can something that represented digitally be in a physical book? :-)

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division