Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 14:11:48 EST

    On 07/12/2003 02:40, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >Just one example, suppose that you want to color the circumflex above
    >a lowercase i or above a uppercase A: the base letters have distinct
    >widths (meaning that the diacritic has a different horizontal position),
    >distinct height (meaning that the diacritic has a different vertical
    >position), and a distinct contextual effect on its base letter (the
    >base lowercase i should have its dot removed)...

    And what if you want to colour just the dot on i? Or just the crossbar
    on a t? I ask this not to mock what you want to do but to point out that
    the whole issue is rather tricky.

    For solving issues like this, we need to distinguish carefully between
    the markup level (Philippe's concern, it seems) and the rendering level
    (John's concern). The markup needs to find a way to represent this kind
    of separate formatting (and what about other changes - bold, italic,
    size changes, even a different font face?) without using problematic
    Unicode sequences. Fonts may have to deal with many tricky issues to
    support this. Technically both of these are outside the scope of
    Unicode, but Unicode may be called on to provide the glue by which they
    can hold together.

    A very tentative suggestion for some glue: a character which can take
    combining marks but whose function is to throw those marks back on to
    the preceding base character, preceding any markup. This would have to
    be a zero width base character, not a format character or a combining
    mark to avoid defective sequences; it would also have to be default
    ignorable. Or maybe there is an existing character which can be reused
    e.g. WJ (same counterarguments as recently on the bidi list of course).
    A very simple implementation could use the backspacing trick Philippe
    used to position the diacritics roughly. A more adequate one would be a
    difficult problem for font developers, but one that is soluble in principle.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)