Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup (was Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup))

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 06:40:07 EST

    On 08/12/2003 16:17, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >>Having an 'invisible consonant' to call for rendering of the vowel sign
    >>in isolation (and without the dotted circle), would also help the limited
    >>number of cases where the styled single character is needed - but in
    >>a rather hackish way.
    >>

    >That is what the SPACE as base character is for. If some renderers
    >insist on rendering such combinations with a dotted circle glyph,
    >that is an issue in the renderer -- it is not a defect in the
    >encoding standard for not having a way to represent the vowel
    >sign in isolation.

    SPACE is unsuitable for this function for at least two good reasons:

    1) because of its word and line breaking characteristics;

    2) because in a case like this no extra spacing is required. The vowel
    sign is a spacing character in itself, although a combining mark. SPACE
    is expected to add its own spacing. In the absence of clearly defined
    rules to the contrary, renderers will render this combination of SPACE
    with a Tamil vowel with an extra space which is not wanted. (As for
    which side of the vowel the space will appear, that is anyone's guess!)

    This is yet another example to add to a number that I have identified
    showing that the reuse of SPACE and NBSP as carriers for diacritics is
    an undesirable overloading of character semantics. I propose again a new
    base character for carrying combining marks, with no glyph and a width
    just as wide as that required to display the combining marks. The
    mechanism already defined for using SPACE and NBSP for this should be
    deprecated, although not abolished.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)