Re: Ideographic Description Characters

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 10:48:36 EST

    On Dec 8, 2003, at 6:20 PM, Mark Davis wrote:

    > John, I don't see why you are saying that it is a 'no-no'. There is no
    > reason
    > that someone couldn't do something like that.

    Strictly speaking, it isn't in violation of TUS, which only says (p.
    309), "Ideographic Description Sequences are not to be used to provide
    alternative graphic representations of encoded ideographs." Less
    formally, however, the discussion in The Book is focused on using them
    to represent unencoded ideographs, and we have consistently suggested
    (a) that IDSs should be as short as possible, and (b) that they
    shouldn't be used at all for encoded ideographs in text exchange.

    It may be a good idea to update the language in The Book to
    specifically state that they are also useful for pedagogy and
    structural analysis of existing ideographs.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com