RE: Coloured diacritics

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 16:58:31 EST

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin writes:
    > On 2003.12.09, 11:25, Peter Kirk <peterkirk@qaya.org> wrote:
    >
    > > Philippe, you have now stated this (several times). But just a day
    > > earlier you yourself stated that the rule forbidding combining marks
    > > at the start of a string would never be relaxed because it is
    > > fundamental to the XML containment model.
    >
    > Well, but what if a "string" is intended to be the text enclosed by a
    > DIV object (or any other block level object) and therefore any SPAN
    > tag (or any other inline level object) is treated by the relevant
    > process as just an invisible, ignorable entity?
    >
    > This makes intuitive sense to me...

    I explained that in another message related to the <span> tag in HTML
    which is not meant by itself to create concatenable strings, as a
    style sheet may apply there which changes its flow layout from inline
    to block. Nothing can be infered from the HTML or XML syntax, even if
    the elements are consecutive and share the same attributes: you cannot
    suppose that their content will concatenate into a single string, as
    you need first to apply the stylesheet to create the layout tree with
    its fully resolved styles. Then you need to compute the layout
    ordering, using information from fonts for metrics, to compute the "box
    model" properties of each element; then only you can compute the 2D
    layout, to create the rendering tree, which can then be optimized
    by merging sibling nodes sharing the exact same layout and style
    properties, from which you can finally render the strings contained
    in the simplified tree... This simplification of the final layout tree
    is optional, and a browser could as well just render the full layout
    tree directly when it is composed or dynamically generated on the fly,
    because it will save resources (no need to generate an internal layout
    documents), despite it may slow down the final graphic rendering with
    fonts.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com