Re: character map in Microsoft Word

From: Morgan Wahl (abstractmilitia@lycos.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 18:51:50 EST

    wjbm820 wrote:
    > My question concerns using the character map's shortcuts so as not to
    > have to cut/paste a symbol. When I want to use 3/4, I can use the
    > alternate key plus 0190 using the numerical pad on the right) and I get
    > ¾. If I want to make a cents sign, I use alt155 ¢ The keystroke
    > command comes up in the lower right corner of the character map.
    > Problem: If I want to make 1/3, this command comes to the left
    > corner "U+2153: Vulgar fraction one third
    > I do not know how to utilize this command to get the 1/3 to show in one
    > space only ½ like this.
    > I am not very computer literate so this may not be a possible
    > function or I am simply not doing the right thing.
    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Jean

    well, ideally, the alt+(hex number) sequence should allow you to enter
    any unicode; but, i believe when microsoft switched things from ASCII
    and the old "codepages" they didn't bother extending this way of
    entering characters. Notice how in "Character Map" ¼, ½, and ¾ are up
    nearer the regular latin letters, and further down, past stuff like
    greek, russian, arabic, etc. you see a bigger set of fractions. these
    are the ones included in unicode, but not the old chracter map. You'll
    just have to copy paste for now. (If you want to see just the characters
    with shortcuts, check "Advanced view" at the bottom of the "Character
    Map" window. Then switch "Character set" from "Unicode" to "Windows:
    Western")