RE: character map in Microsoft Word

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 22:06:41 EST

    Note that Windows keyboard drivers do not support input of Unicode code
    points.
    What you have is (below, replace AltGr by Alt+Ctrl on US keyboards that
    don't have a AltGr key):

    1) AltGr+NumPad(decimal number): enter the character with the character code
    between 1 and 255 in your local DOS/OEM codepage (for example "CP850" on
    Western European versions of Windows or if you use Windows XP with your
    current driver set to a language mapped to that codepage).

    2) AltGr+NumPad(0+decimal number): enter the character with the character
    code between 1 and 255 in your local "Windows ANSI" codepage (for example
    "Windows-1252" on Western European versions of Windows or if you use Windows
    XP with your current driver set to a language mapped to that codepage).

    Both codepages contain "approximately" the same characters, but there are
    characters that only exist in one set and not in the other one. The first
    input method is good for ASCII characters, the second method with AltGr+0 is
    generally prefered for characters needed in a Windows GUI application.

    Note that on East-Asian versions of Windows, the DOS/OEM and Windows ANSI
    codepages are the same and are derived (extended) from SJIS in Japanese, or
    Big5 in Traditional Chinese, or GB2312 in Simplified Chinese, or KSC5601 in
    Korean. So the two methods return the same character.

    There's no support in the default keyboard drivers for Windows to enter
    hexadecimal or decimal codepoints directly. Unicode codepoints are
    _distinct_ from codes in the DOS/OEM and Windows ANSI codepages, except for
    ASCII characters.

    To know the keystrokes to use on Windows, run "charmap", locate the
    characters you want, and look at the status bar which indicates the
    keystroke supported by your current keyboard driver... If there's no defined
    keystroke displayed, you'll need to use "charmap" to locate a character and
    copy/paste it in your favorite application...

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com