Re: Text Editors and Canonical Equivalence (was Coloured diacritics)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 10:53:13 EST

    On 12/12/2003 07:34, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >Peter Kirk wrote:

    >>>It means "finite".
    >>>

    >>Except in the original context it should have meant "infinite", as there
    >>is actually an infinite number of potential default grapheme clusters.
    >>

    >I really meant "nearly infinite", because even if the potential default
    >grapheme clusters are "infinite", the actual ones that have meaningful
    >semantics and effective usage are "finite" (within the finite set of code
    >points currently assigned in a precise Unicode version), but currently not
    >precisely enumerable (that's where "nearly infinite" makes sense).

    OK. In fact I suspect that the number "that have meaningful semantics
    and effective usage" is actually rather small and could be fitted within
    the higher PUA planes if one chose to do that. After all, not many
    languages use large numbers of different grapheme clusters (i.e. more
    than a few hundred consonant-vowel combinations), apart from those
    already encoded as CJK characters including the precomposed Korean ones.
    Biblical Hebrew is probably one of the few that does because of its
    accents, but the total number of distinct grapheme clusters is just a
    few thousand. The problem is that a program cannot be assured in advance
    that it will only be presented with grapheme clusters "that have
    meaningful semantics and effective usage".

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)