Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 14:53:16 EST

    .
    Mark E. Shoulson wrote,

    > I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I find myself thinking that the
    > swastika, THE Nazi swastika, right-facing, tilted 45°, proper ratio of
    > stroke-thickness, the whole deal, should be encoded in Unicode. As a
    > matter of history: it *is* a symbol of profound significance in the
    > history of the world.

    Indeed it is.

    Perhaps what is needed is a new combining character.

    Maybe some kind of "COMBINING REPLACEMENT WHITEWASH
    CHARACTER" could be proposed. It could be applied by the system
    wherever appropriate, as deemed by user preferences or regional
    insistence, in order to obliterate any characters or character strings
    which might offend.

    One suggestion for a display glyph would be an ostrich with its
    head buried.

    It is said that one who ignores history is doomed to repeat it.

    Or, we might consider that the same characters used to represent
    holy books or love poetry can also render 'Mein Kampf'.

    Ultimately, the ability to freely and openly exchange information
    and ideas may prove to be harmful only to despots and the like.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .