[OT reversing letters to avoid offence] Re: [Fwd: Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?]

From: jon@hackcraft.net
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:28:21 EST

    Quoting "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org>:

    > On 12/15/03 08:42, jon@hackcraft.net wrote:
    >
    > >>Holocaust scholars wanting to encode German documents from the 1930s
    > >>and 1940s would want the double runic S encoded, since this was a
    > >>specific character found on type-writers of the era and saw regular use.
    > >>

    > >Would <U+16CB> <U+16CB> be a reasonable substitute?
    > >
    > >I mentioned that Sigel is avoided by some who use the Futhark symbolicly.
    > >Doubling it is obviously avoided even more. There is a practice of mirroring
    >
    > >the second rune in a word if it is the second of a double letter (like the
    > 'l'
    > >in 'hello'). I've wondered of late if this has any origin in how they would
    >
    > >have originally been written (I've heard of entire lines being mirrored,
    > such
    > >as on the Franks Casket, but not individual characters) or if it was a
    > post-war
    > >innovation to deliberately avoid writing SS.
    > >

    > Is this like baseball scoreboards showing the third consecutive
    > strikeout symbol (which is a K) reversed? Is that to avoid "KKK" or is
    > it for another reason?

    Well I found a neo-con criticising the reverse-K practice though I won't take a
    neo-con complaining about something as evidence that that something exists.

    With the runes though it isn't just double sigels that have the second
    mirrored, but all double letters. FWIW not only are the sources I learnt this
    from not reliable on the history of the Futhark, being concerned only with the
    modern occult use, but they also claimed it was a purely aesthetic matter (and
    having experimented I agree it's prettier).

    --
    Jon Hanna                   | Toys and books
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/> | for hospitals: