Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 12:10:26 EST

    At 08:52 -0800 2003-12-15, Elaine Keown wrote:

    Mark said:

    >I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I find myself thinking that the
    >swastika, THE Nazi swastika, right-facing, tilted .....the whole
    >deal, should be encoded
    >
    >This looks to me like the ideal place for an extended
    >note in Unicode, not a code point.
    >
    >The note could describe the graphic differences
    >between the existing code point and the Nazi version.

    I am not certain that the existing code position is satisfactory for
    non-CJK use. That is, Tibetan, Norse, Native American, Scouting use,
    and so on. Those NEVER show Han brush-stroke shapes. I would like to
    see some discussion about whether the properties those characters
    have are suitable for use in other contexts.

    >Some things are really too evil to facilitate even in
    >a small way in a computer code.

    The tilted Nazi swastika is a DIFFERENT character again.