Re: [OT] Euro-English (was: Corea? (Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 14:34:54 EST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > > There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
    > > troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like
    > > "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter. (...snip...)
    >
    > This is very excessive. The reform will certainly not affect common
    > words...

    It's a joke, Philippe. A big, long, not-very-new joke.

    > Country names should follow the recommandations of the relevant
    > countries. After all, Canton is now preferably written Guangdong,
    > and Pékin becomes Beijing following the recommandation of ISO
    > standards for topological names.

    See my other post about inventing new names for locations in other
    countries.

    > What will happen if Korea officially changes its english name to
    > Corea at the United Nations? There will be a change in the ISO 639
    > and ISO 646 standards

    Probably no change in ISO 639, which deals with language names.
    DEFINITELY no change in ISO 646, which is the ASCII character set.
    Maybe a change in ISO 3166. (Suggestion: Re-read first, then hit
    "Send.")

    I wonder what the advantage would be to Korea or Koreans to change the
    spelling from 'C' to 'K'. As Marco pointed out, neither spelling has
    anything to do with the native names for the country anyway.
    (Jungshik?)

    > for the official english names (no change
    > necessary for the French version which is already "Corée" and
    > "coréen"), and possibly (if Corea opts for it) a new attribution for
    > its country code (but the "cr" country code is already assigned to
    > Costa-Rica).

    Please, please let the ISO 3166/MA not get sucked into this one.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/