Re: [OT] CJK -> CJC (Re: Corea?)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 19:06:35 EST

    On 15/12/2003 14:41, jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>You may personally be very determined not to make such changes, but
    >>presumably there is a mechanism by which in principle you might be
    >>outvoted within WG2.
    >>

    >That would require a revolution in the membership as well as the policies of
    >WG2, which is committed (jointly with the Unicode Technical Committee) to
    >the stability of the long identifiers (character names), however wrong-headed
    >or even misspelled.

    OK, but neither you nor Michael has addressed my suggestion that there
    might be (irresistable?) pressure from higher up in ISO etc for
    standardisation of standards.

    By the way, I am not suggesting that WG2 and UTC might do something
    wrong. Rather, I am suggesting that they should do what is right and
    proper, to revise their policies, allowing themselves to correct their
    past errors and to keep their character names in step with current
    naming practice (although I do think the change from Korea to Corea is a
    bit stupid). The appropriate stable character identifiers are not
    character names but code points.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)