Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 12:36:40 EST

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    [Philippe Verdy scripsisset:]
    > >I think it is completely illogical to match together with case-insensitive
    > >compares, the three letters:
    > > LATIN SMALL LETTER I (dotted) [U+0069]
    > > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I (dotless)$ [U+0049]
    > > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE [U+0130]
    > >but not:
    > > LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I [U+0131]
    > >when using locale-neutral compares, given that the normative uppercase mapping
    > >of this fourth letter is the second letter above.
    >
    > That is not what happens in locale-neutral comparisons, I believe.

    Here's what happens exactly:

    source simple case folding full case folding tr/az case folding
    dotted i dotted i dotted i dotted i
    dotless i dotless i dotless i dotless i
    dotted I dotted I dotted i + comb. dot dotted i
    dotless I dotted i dotted i dotless i

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own