Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 18:17:04 EST

    On 16/12/2003 13:09, Stefan Persson wrote:

    > In that case, how would the browser know if "UNICODE.ORG" means that
    > you want to visit "unicode.org" or "unıcode.org", if both domains
    > exist? Maybe one could assume Turkish casing for .tr and .az domains,
    > and non-Turkish casing for all other domains.
    >
    > Stefan

    As soon as I had written the above I realised that I had hurried too
    much, but I was going out. Let me clarify:

    If it is the client software (browser etc) which resolves the casing,
    then how it resolves it is essentially a local matter which doesn't need
    to be standardised. But my recommendation would be that the mapping
    followed the local language context, i.e. in general the system locale
    except where overridden by language markup in the local context e.g.
    when the URL is embedded in a document. That is, "I" would map to "i",
    unless the locale or markup language is tr or az in which case it would
    map to dotless i. (There are actually a few other language orthographies
    which use Turkic casing.) The alternative of using the Turkic mapping
    for .tr and .az domains is possible but seems less desirable to me.

    If the casing is resolved by the nameserver, there is no alternative to
    using the Turkic mapping only for .tr and .az domains.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)