Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 00:14:02 EST

    Kenneth Whistler scripsit:

    > John Cowan noted:
    >
    > <quote>
    > Here's what happens exactly:
    >
    > source simple case folding full case folding tr/az case folding
    > dotted i dotted i dotted i dotted i
    > dotless i dotless i dotless i dotless i
    > dotted I dotted I dotted i + comb. dot dotted i
    > dotless I dotted i dotted i dotless i
    > </quote>

    [snip]

    > One moral of the story is: DO NOT USE COMBINING DOTS WITH I's.

    A fine moral, indeed. Unfortunately, full case folding generates such
    things for downstream processes to trip over. It's too late to fix
    the RFCs, alas.

    --
    Where the wombat has walked,            John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    it will inevitably walk again.          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan