RE: Arabic Presentation Forms-A

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 11:32:44 EST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > > #code;cc;nfd;nfkdFolded; # CHAR?; NFD?; NFKDFOLDED?;
    > > # RIAL SIGN
    > > fdfc;;;<isolated> 0631 06cc 0627 0644; # ??; ?; ?????;
    > >
    > > The "Arial Unicode MS" font does not have a glyph for the
    > Rial currency sign so I won't comment lots about it, even if
    > it's a special ligature of its component letters:
    > > - where the medial form of U+06CC ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
    > (?) is shown on charts only as two dots (and not with its
    > "Arabic letter alef maksura" base form, as the comment in
    > Arabic chart suggests for Arabic letter yeh), which is

    I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but it is quite normal that
    the initial and medial form of letters Beh, Teh, Theh, Noon and Yeh loose
    their "tooth" and are thus recognizable only by their dots. Similarly, Seen
    and Sheen often loose their three "teeth".

    I find this particularly puzzling with the initial and medial forms of Seen,
    which becomes a simple straight line in most calligraphic styles.

    > > - located on below-left of the medial form of U+0627 (?) ,

    U+627 is Alif, so it has no medial form.

    > > - and where the initial form of U+0631 (?) kerns below its
    > next two characters (sometimes with an aditional kashida
    > below its next three characters).

    This too is quite normal: the "tail" of Reh, Zain and Waw often kerns below
    the next letter. Compare it to Latin lowercase "j", which has a similar
    behavior.

    _ Marco