RE: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 17:44:16 EST

    Chris Jacobs wrote:
    > > >To display a dot, one can use one of the four canonical eqquivalents:
    > > > <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX>
    > > > <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX, COMBINING DOT ABOVE>
    > > > <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING DOT ABOVE, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX>
    > > > <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX, COMBINING DOT ABOVE>
    > > >(one is the NFC form, another is the NFD form, two others are also
    > > >possible)
    >
    > Those four are not all canonical equivalent since circumflex and dot above
    > are both combining class 230, so they interact.

    You're right. Initially I wanted to verify their combining classes to see
    which form was the NFC or NFD, but I did not need to remember these classes
    values as they effectively combine at the same (above) class.

    So depending on the letters to encode one can use any of:
            NFC: <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX>
            NFD: <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING DOT ABOVE, COMBINING
    CIRCUMFLEX>
    to encode the circumflex above the dot (I think this is what Turkish would
    use as the fot is considered part of the base letter),

    or any of:
            NFC: <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX, COMBINING DOT ABOVE>
            NFD: <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX, COMBINING DOT
    ABOVE>
    to encode the dot above the circumflex (but may be Turkish will not make a
    difference here and will read it as a glyph variant)

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com