American English translation of character names (was Re: Stability of WG2)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 18:28:00 EST

    Jim Allan noted:

    > On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent the Unicode consortium or
    > any other body or any single person from creating a new *additional*
    > corrected set of names if the Unicode consortium or any other body or
    > any single person wishes to do so.
    >
    > That would just be an alternative list of character names.

    > But I rather not be surprised if that at some time in the future a
    > second set of names with obvious errors corrected were to be created.

    And, indeed, some of us have toyed around with the notion of
    publishing an American English translation of the Unicode
    names list, including such obvious improvements as:

    U+002E FULL STOP --> PERIOD (or "DOT")

    U+002F SOLIDUS --> SLASH

    U+0040 COMMERCIAL AT --> AT SIGN

    U+005C REVERSE SOLIDUS --> BACKSLASH

    U+005F LOW LINE --> (SPACING) UNDERSCORE

    U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN --> PARAGRAPH SIGN

    U+0268 LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH STROKE --> ... BARRED I

    U+019B LATIN SMALL LETTER LAMBDA WITH STROKE --> ... BARRED LAMBDA

    U+03BB GREEK SMALL LETTER LAMDA --> ... LAMBDA

    U+21B0 UPWARDS ARROW WITH TIP LEFTWARDS --> UP ARROW WITH TIP POINTING LEFT

    U+21BA ANTICLOCKWISE OPEN CIRCLE ARROW --> COUNTERCLOCKWISE ...

    U+FE4E CENTRELINE LOW LINE --> CENTERLINE UNDERSCORE

    and so on and so on, including all the "obvious errors" that
    people are continuing to worry about. ;-)

    --Ken