Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 02:44:41 EST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > I admit that the precomposed dotted-I was not really needed as
    > well, as it has a canonical equivalence with the decomposed
    > letter.

    You know the answer to this: one-to-one mapping with existing character
    sets designed for Turkish. This was a crucial design goal for Unicode
    long before the concept of canonical equivalence was formally defined.

    > As both J and dot-above are already encoded, the stability
    > policy would require a candidate dotted-J to have a canonical
    > decomposition EXCLUDED from NFC/NFKC recomposition...

    This and all subsequent talk about capital dotted J is completely
    frivolous. There is no orthography that uses dotless j in such a way
    that the dotted/dotless distinction needs to be maintained in uppercase,
    the way it does for i in Turkish and Azeri.

    UTC and WG2 resisted encoding dotless j for many years, when it was
    considered just a glyph form to which acute accents and such could be
    added, and only agreed to encode it within the past six months when it
    was shown to have specific uses in mathematical contexts and in a
    particular Latin transcription of a language normally written in
    Cyrillic.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/