RE: American English translation of character names

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 10:21:10 EST

    John Cowan wrote:
    > The most mysterious term is "caron" for the hacek accent: this word
    > seems to exist only in ISO standards, and nobody has any idea where it
    > came from.

    I think it may have occured in some typographic terminology, because
    the intial glyph looked more like a crochet hook than to a reversed
    circumflex, i.e. caron was not angular in handwritten form,
    as it is now in typesetted fonts, but looked like a rounded and oblique
    check mark (a slight variation of the accute accent with a small
    rounded hook on its bottom end, but still much more distinctful from
    the lower half-circle form used by breve).

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com