Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 10:31:22 EST

    On 18/12/2003 07:10, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >Is the circumflex convention standardized in Turkish romanization of
    >Arabic words?

    I'm not sure how officially standardised Turkish spelling is. The
    spelling with circumflex is found on official government sites, but so
    is the version without circumflex. It is quite possible that which
    spelling someone uses is closely linked to their politics and religion -
    this is certainly true of some vocabulary choices.

    >Aren't there cases where long dotted vowels would be simply written
    >twice like in "Millii" instead of "Millî", exhibiting the fact that
    >the Arabic dotted-i sound must be long, without implying a Turkic
    >adjectival dotted "-li"?

    No. A doubled vowel is never used for a long vowel. There are a few
    Turkish words borrowed from Arabic which end in -ii or -iî, e.g.
    tabii/tabiî "natural", but in this case the two i's are separate vowels
    pronounced with a glottal stop or similar between them - in this case
    corresponding to an original Arabic eyn which is not written and not
    properly pronounced.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)