Re: [OT] CJK -> CJC (Re: Corea?)

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 14:42:47 EST

    On 2003.12.17, 11:36, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > the _current_ Saint-Pétersbourg (French name revived in Russia with
    > just a transliteration,

    It's Sankt-Peterburg, nothing French in it. (Nothing Russian, either,
    but that's another subject...)

    > the Latin transcription being also widely used by Russians)

    Huh?

    > which has also been Léningrad or Pétrograd or Stalingrad

    No e-acutes on it, and Stalingrad was some 2000 km southwards.

    > (in the Latin transliteration of the official and changing Russian
    > script name, this Latin transliteration changing a bit among various
    > languages which used them), and even Saint-Pétersbourg officially for
    > some time in the tsar's Russia.

    Gosh, Philippe -- not being too much envolved with Unicode, I've been
    reading your messages to this list in the past with some interest -- now
    that you brush a subject I'm a bit more familiarized with, I can only
    hope you know more about Unicode than you do about Russian language and
    history...

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Rua Alberto Bramão, 8-1º d.to |
    PT-1700-132 LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |