Unicode->ASCII approximate conversion

From: Hallvard B Furuseth (h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 05:13:01 EST

    I need a function which converts Latin Unicode characters to the closest
    equivalent ASCII characters, e.g. "é" -> "e".

    Before I reinvent the wheel, does any public domain or GPL code for this
    already exist?

    If not,
    for the most part I expect I can make the mapping from the character
    names, e.g. ignore 'WITH ACUTE' in 'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH ACUTE'
    in <ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt>.
    Punctuation and other non-letters will be worse, but they are less
    important to me anyway.

    --
    Hallvard