RE: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 16:47:12 EST

    Christopher John Fynn
    > Envoyé : samedi 20 décembre 2003 20:50
    > À : verdy_p@wanadoo.fr
    > Cc : Unicode List
    > Objet : Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval
    >

    > > For me two scripts that are different enough so that a text written
    > > in one script will have imprecise matches in another, and will be
    > > hardly recognizable by readers is a candidate to a separate encoding,
    > > because it starts its own family of supplementary letters specific
    > > to some families of languages needing these extensions.
    >
    > On this basis it could be argued that fraktur / black letter
    > should be encoded
    > separately from latin.

    Only if it starts being used with a distinct language or an
    exclusive orthograph. Are there different orthographs or word
    distinctions possible in fraktur/black letter, that are not
    possible with a 1-to-1 mapping to the Latin script? Was a
    new orthograph (defined as a spelled enumeration of letters,
    independantly of the way letters were vocalized, something that
    often varies even within the same written language in the same
    script) used with fraktur?

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com